No one looks forward to receiving an evaluation from the boss. Everyone hopes for a big raise, however, very few expect to learn anything from the evaluation. There has to be a better way.
Use these three questions regularly and watch your team’s performance improve.
- What went well?
- What needs improvement?
- What will you do differently next time?
These questions have several advantages.
- You can use them anytime, anywhere. There’s no need to wait for the annual evaluation.
- You can use them with anyone. Because they allow others to evaluate their own performances, most people will be comfortable discussing their answers. I know parents who use these questions with their teenagers.
- You can use them with individuals and with groups.
- You can answer them to evaluate something you’ve done.
- You can memorize them easily. Simply remember, “WIN” to recall the keywords – well, improvement and next time.
Use these three questions to lead like a coach and your team members won’t think you’re bossy.